… and I could not be more thrilled. Hardly a day goes by without the state of America’s diabetes epidemic weighing heavily on my mind. And then there are days like today when it struck me while procrastinating on the Internet that even though diabetes prevalence is greater than ever, diabetes awareness is also at an all time high.
It's not only the JDRF Walk i'm talking about. People from Abu Dhabi (in the United Arab Emirates) to Kansas City, second graders to senior citizens, type 1s to type 3s (non-diabetic supporter of diabetes patients) are steeping out to raise awareness and support for diabetes.
Here is a list I’ve compiled so far:
• JDRF sponsored Ron Santo Walk to cure diabetes
• Mary Beck Elementary School kids walked with other community members to raise money for juvenile diabetes
• Abu Dhabi,United Arab Emirates - Walk UAE 2007
• Oatland Island Education Center, Savannah, Georgia - Walk on the Wild Side.
• Westfield, IN - Hamilton County Schools Walk for a Cure
• San Diego – Step Out to Fight Diabetes
• New York, NY - Herkimer Elementary School Walk for Diabetes
The way I see it, this list can grow to as many pages as miles walked collectively and we pray that this support will take us closer to a cure in one form or another.