I was at the pharmacy late last week, where the pharmacist and I are good friends - we're very lucky here in SF, as we have two 24-hour pharmacies within four blocks of us, Walgreen's and Safeway. We always chat about what's new and different ... one thing we talked about, which a v smart newsletter reader had also tipped me off on the day after Valentine's Day, was that Byetta no longer needs to be refrigerated after the first use. The big benefit here is less hassle...
This is a win-win-win for the patient-healthcare provider-pharmacist because: 1) it's less actual hassle for the patient (no going back and forth to the refrigerator); 2) it's less perceived hassle for the patient (no worries about hassles of going back and forth to the refrigerator); 3) it's less actual hassle for the doctor and diabetes educator (fewer calls); 4) it's less perceived hassle for the doctor and diabetes educator (no fears about phone calls; simpler to explain); 5) it's less work for the pharmacist because they don't need to talk about the importance of refrigeration.
On balance, the drug improves glucose significantly and prompts weight loss among most patients ... so while it might be easy to blow off this improvement, we think it's important because it reduces hassle. The drug just keeps getting better ...
Here's the new info from the Byetta patient website:
How should I store BYETTA?
• Store your new, unused BYETTA Pen in the original carton in a refrigerator at 36°F
to 46°F (2°C to 8ºC) protected from light. Do not freeze. Throw away any
BYETTA Pen that has been frozen.
• After first use, your BYETTA Pen can be kept at a temperature not to exceed
77°F (25°C). Do not freeze. Do not use BYETTA if it has been frozen. BYETTA
should be protected from light.
• Use a BYETTA Pen for only 30 days. Throw away a used BYETTA Pen after
30 days, even if some medicine remains in the pen.
• BYETTA should not be used after the expiration date printed on the label.
• Do not store the BYETTA Pen with the needle attached. If the needle is left on,
medicine may leak from the BYETTA Pen or air bubbles may form in the cartridge.
• Keep your BYETTA Pen, pen needles, and all medicines out of the reach of